On Monday, 03/26/2007 at 02:00 EST, Brian Nielsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> I appreciate the elaboration and its relevance to link aggregation.  My
> next question would be how to move toward non-shared OSAs and maintain
non-
> VLAN-aware guests connected to multiple VLANs through the OSA.  The two
> seem to be incompatible.  Either the guests need to become VLAN-aware to
> have multiple NICs to the same VSWITCH, or NICDEF needs a new parameter
> define its' default VLAN (to supercede the VSWITCH GRANT default VLAN
for
> *every* NIC from a guest).
>
> Is there another way?

No, you have the right of it.  We do not have a way to define the default
VLAN on a per-NIC basis.  By the time people really start to want to
dedicate the OSAs as I have described, I hope to have that problem solved.
 (Your solution and mine are the same, btw.)

But for now it's two VSWITCHes with a different VLAN id for the guest
sharing the same OSA, or, as you suggest, making the guest VLAN-aware, but
authorized to use only two VLAN ids.

But if a user group or customer (via their IBM rep or BP) was able to get
a requirement opened for that capability, life would be better for
everyone concerned.