Cross posted to MVMRUG-L, IBMVM and LINUX-390 lists.

The spring MVMRUG meeting will be held at the offices of State Auto
Insurance in Columbus on Friday, April 20.  All with an interest in VM
are welcome to attend.  Details will be available at
http://www.mvmrug.org/nextmtg.html early next week.  Here is the list of
sessions that will be presented.  We will also host our traditional
Thursday evening Dutch treat dinner beginning at 7:00 pm.  If you plan
to attend the meeting, please drop me an email (off list) so we can get
a count for the refreshments.  Let me know if we should reserve a seat
at dinner Thursday.

*
        Linux for System z at Nationwide - From Woe to Whoa! How Did We
Get Here, Toto!
        Presenter: Jim Vincent - Nationwide Insurance
        Abstract:
        You've probably heard that Linux runs on the mainframe and is
the same as anywhere else - from Intel to System z servers.  The
challenge is that there can be a lot of politics around choosing to run
Linux on the mainframe, deciding on a distribution and methodology for
installing and maintaining Linux end even who will be responsible for
the virtual Linux environments

        Many decisions and discussions need to be made around processes,
tools and solutions to decide if they are "right" for a virtual Linux
farm.  This session will give you a candid insight on how Nationwide
dealt with those topics along with:

        *       The key to opening the door for building a Linux
environment
        *       Why Linux?  What did we expect it to do for our
business?
        *       What it may take to motivate server, mainframe and even
management to work with virtual servers
        *       Choice of distributions to use on zSeries and decision
points
        *       Who needs to learn what; the learning curve for both
mainframe and server folks

        The discussion will cover building a Linux Virtualization
environment with z/VM on zSeries at Nationwide Insurance, where it is
today and some key issues and benefits.

*
        Linux for System z at Nationwide - From Woe to Whoa! Where Do We
Go Now?
        Speaker: Rick Barlow - Nationwide Insurance
        Abstract:
        This session will continue the Nationwide story and focus on
why, how and what to do to get a server farm built and keep it running.
Topics to be discussed include:

        *       Virtual hardware
        *       Virtual network features and setup
        *       High availability
        *       Disaster recovery
        *       Performance challenges

*       z/VM Platform Update: Introducing z/VM V5.3
        Presenter: Dan Griffith, IBM

        Catch the latest breaking news on z/VM product enhancements.
This session will provide you a high-level
        overview of the new z/VM Version 5.3 product announcement. z/VM
V5.3 offers new, leading-edge virtualization
        capabilities and a pricing model that will help enterprises more
easily exploit the on demand capabilities of IBM
        System z virtualization technology.

*       Managing Multiple Linux Instances on z/VM

        Presenter: Shari Killion, Mainstar
        When you run Linux as a guest of z/VM, the power and resources
of the mainframe are utilized as needed, so you don't have to purchase
and maintain separate dedicated hardware for each Linux server. Instead,
hundreds of thousands of instances can run on just one z/VM host.
Unfortunately, repeatedly creating, configuring and updating Linux
instances manually can be tedious and time consuming, and all too often,
those who are asked to perform these tasks are Linux staff with limited
z/VM experience or z/VM staff with limited Linux experience.Using the
automated instance management feature of Mainstar's "Provisioning Expert
for Linux on zSeries" product, a non-Linux or non-z/VM expert can easily
create, configure, and maintain many virtual Linux instances under z/VM.
You can also:

        *       Reduce management costs by eliminating physical
footprints
        *       Eliminate errors with accurate configuration of Linux
instances
        *       Centrally view and manage all Linux instances
        *       Provide efficient and automated resource utilization

*       Free for All

        Any VM-related question or topic is fair game.

Terry A. Moore
Interim Manager IT Client Services
Phone: (330) 471-3380
Cell: (330) 703-0402
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

This message and any attachments are intended for the individual or
entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient, please
do not forward, copy, print, use or disclose this communication to
others; also please notify the sender by replying to this message,
and then delete it from your system. The Timken Company / The
Timken Corporation