And don't forget their support costs.

The hard drives are "imaged".
They do some Novell "lilo" stuff at POR time (I guess for virus checking of the
boot sectors).
Then the Novell application distribution and update step.

It takes about 5 minutes to boot <G>.

Last summer, a virus got in.  Building by building, the pcs in that area
started crashing.  It seemed to take about 3 months to disinfect and recover
the 4,000 PCs.

Not my area and I stay as far away from that as I can.

Tom Duerbusch
THD Consulting

On Apr 11, 2007, at 9:55 AM, Tom Duerbusch wrote:

> Hi Adam
>
> Not my PC, it's the clients.
> It is their responsibility to provide the resources to do my job
> (or to do it efficiently).
>
> I've thought about using my PCs to connect in from home, but then
> I'm liable for any virus(s) that may enter.
>
> It is one of the reasons I really don't like working with PC
> software....no test systems!

Well, then, you need to negotiate for a better toolkit with your
client, I guess!

A comparison of the cost of a virtualization engine and a copy of
Windows versus a few hours of your time might help them become
enlightened....

Adam