From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Alan Altmark
Sent: Wednesday, April 25, 2007 7:56 AM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: Hackers

On Tuesday, 04/24/2007 at 12:51 MST, "Schuh, Richard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> I am more interested in documented cases of hackers actually
penetrating
> a system. I am especially interested in penetrations of VM/ESA or
later
> systems.

z/VM has a Common Criteria EAL3+ certification (z/VM 5.3 is intended to
be
EAL4 later this year).  The z/VM Secure Configuration Guide will help
you
configure the system in a secure way.

Penetration testing of a z/VM system continues to be a futile effort and

no customer has reported such a problem to us.  DISCLAIMER: As you might

expect, IBM does not claim that you cannot hack into a z/VM system, but
simply that we have found none to date and none have been reported to
us.
Yes, there have been Security/Integrity APARs, but no reports of
break-ins.

But consider, too, that a vulnerability analysis is just one element of
the overall security "ecosystem".