What better to make you feel all warm and cuddly about an IBM mainframe OS than a smiling teddy bear? Yeah, we can think of few dozen better ideas off the bat, too, but this is what IBM chose to embody the operating system that ran all manner of big, clunky computers during the 1970s and '80s.

Verdict: Harmless.

I'm amused that while they recognized that many of the other mascots didn't come from corporate minds, they cite IBM as the source of the VM teddy bear. They even link to a Wikipedia article about VM that gets the teddy bear story right.

What is it we keep saying about journalism standards these days?