>From http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18325591/ :

ARMONK, N.Y. - The powerful "Cell" microprocessor that fuels Sony Corp.'s
PlayStation 3 video game console will be available in IBM mainframe computers
so those high-performance machines can run complex online games and virtual
worlds.

Jointly developed by IBM, Sony and Toshiba Corp., Cell is touted as a
"supercomputer on a chip" because of its design, which includes one central
processing unit helped by eight additional processors working on specific tasks.

Because of that unusual architecture, Cell's use outside of PlayStations has
been limited to specialized hardware for graphics-intensive functions such as
military or medical applications.

Mainframes are big computers commonly used for transaction processing and other
centralized tasks. Despite their old-fashioned reputation, IBM's mainframe
sales have been on an upswing, as IBM has encouraged customers to perform a
wider variety of computing functions on them, since mainframes can run multiple
processors and operating systems at once.

Adding Cell chips to mainframes to make the machines into hubs for online
gaming and simulations could bolster that strategy, analysts said.

"It opens up some new potential frontiers," said Charles King of Pund-IT
Research.

C 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be
published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.Copyright 2007 The Associated
Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast,
rewritten or redistributed.

(OK, this makes almost no sense; the only way I can make it remotely do so is
if it means that they're using Cell BE as the underlying chip, microprogrammed
to do z/Architecture.  Maybe as the zIIP or zAAP or zOOP* engines?)

* zOOP: z Object Oriented Processor.  My made-up name for whatever comes next
-- I like "zIIP, zAAP, zOOP!" as a marketing slogan...
--
...phsiii

Phil Smith III
(703) 476-4511 (office)