Mike Walter wrote:
As Dirty Harry said: "Go ahead punk, make my day!". And I extoll the value of going in the opposite direction: reserving SLOTs at the very top of the CP_OWNED list for more than enough SPOOL volumes. Reserved SLOTs are cheap: no software or hardware charges, and very little resource consumption. The alternative is that you place the SPOOL SLOTs somewhere else in the CP_OWNED list, and potentially change the SLOT number some day - thereafter losing all SPOOL files the next time you IPL VM.

Actually what I did in practice was to define my slots in groups, things like DRCT/WARM/CKPT in the 1st group, PAGE went in the next (IIRC), SPOOL would always go in the final. I'd reserve a few extra SLOTS at the end of each group. Since SPOOL always was at the end, I'd always be adding new SPOOL vols at the end of the CPowned list.

The extra Reserved SLOTS allowed me to add new PAGE, etc. and still keep them together, and still not affect the order of the SPOOL vols. Of course if I were to run out of RESERVED SLOTS for the "higher" groups, I'd need to define new ones at the end of the CPOWNED list (thus no longer having contiguous entries for ea group), or risk the dreaded COLD/CLEAN start. Fortunately , I reserved enough slots for ea group that this never occurred.

Talk about AR sysprogs !