I'm doing an article for Bob Thomas' z/Journal <http://www.zjournal.com/> about next-generation mainframers, industry and educational outreach initiatives for students and young professionals, opportunities and obstacles for people exploring this career area, etc. <www.ibm.com/university/systemz> is interesting if you've not seen it.

A long-time and common topic on these lists (and I've cross-posted this note to several) is the graying of mainframers and how there is or will be a shortage of people to use/support/enhance big iron.

I'm interested in what you're seeing -- in industry, schools, user groups, etc. -- regarding new generations of mainframers.

Does your employer court/train young professionals for mainframe careers?

Do you work with younger colleagues? Is there a generation gap or is there "solidarity within mainframes"?

Do you have younger relatives working on mainframes? If so, did you influence their career choices?

Do user groups adequately educate new folks in this technology and culture?

Are your mainframe areas of interest reflected in industry/educational initiatives?

If YOU are a non-graying mainframer -- what led to this career path? How do you like it so far? What future options do you see for yourself?

Anything else?

This will be a relatively short article so I likely won't be able to use everything contributed, but it's an interesting topic so I might explore it more later.

I'll appreciate all comments/feedback -- and please reply directly to me as well as to the lists where you see this; since I get list digests it's a pain extracting nuggets from the daily mailings.

Thanks for helping...

--
Gabriel Goldberg, Computers and Publishing, Inc.          (703) 204-0433
3401 Silver Maple Place, Falls Church, VA 22042        [EMAIL PROTECTED]