From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Mike Walter
Sent: Thursday, May 10, 2007 12:26 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: Testing new CMS / CMS components

        Jim,

        We still need SEGMENT RESERVE to ensure that applications do not
allocate into storage which is required by NSSes.  For example, Nomad2
here loads at 05A00-05CFF.  We've had applications allocated into that
area, then when the user tried to start Nomad, no luck.  Finding out
which application allocated storage into a given area is tricky
business.  Getting it unallocated (without just IPLing CMS) is
near-impossible.

        So, unless I'm missing something, you're just betting that no
apps (even CMS) will allocate storage, and leave it allocated, before
some NSS attempts to load.  You gun, your foot.  Of course z/VM
customers running Linux, and with no (yet) CMS workload will not be
faced with this issue.  It's only us old productive dinosaur CMS-app
shops that care.

        Mike Walter

        Hewitt Associates

        Any opinions expressed herein are mine alone and do not
necessarily represent the opinions or policies of Hewitt Associates.

"Stracka, James (GTI)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Sent by: "The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

05/10/2007 10:51 AM
Please respond to
"The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
cc
Subject
Re: Testing new CMS / CMS components

        Kris,

        I have not seen a need for the SEGMENT RESERVE command with our
z/VM systems.  The last time we needed to do this was about 10 years ago
with reserving VSAM for NetView.  This is no longer necessary.

        We also used commands like:

        SET SYSNAME GCSVSAM CMSVSAM
        SET SYSNAME GCSBAM  CMSBAM
        Jim