The drag&drop is simply the way to give an LPAR an "integrated 3270
console".  It does not instruct SAPL to display/bypass its panel.

The display of the SAPL panel is requested by entering the address of a 3270
in the LOADPARM field (enter SYSG to indicate the "integrated 3207 console")
When the LOADPARM field is empty, you tell SAPL that it should use the
defaults to IPL CP.  These defaults are defined by the SALIPL command (i.e.
SALIPL writes the SAPL program and the IPL defaults on the disk).

From your forum appends, I seem to conclude that you have operator
intervention during all IPLs.  The normal way to IPL a VM is with an empty
LOADPARM field, which means no operator intervention is required.  Entering
a 3270 address in the LOADPRAM field is only required when you want to IPL
VM in a special way: such as: another console, an other CP nucleus than
CPLOAD, another SYSTEM CONFIG file.

At my customer's installation, we can use a browser to connect to the HMC
and so I can IPL VM from my desk, or even here at home if the operators
would get stuck.  But, I must admit, before or VMs were moved from a 9672 to
a z9, I never saw an HMC.  The last machine I IPLed myself before the z9 was
a 9370, and the HMC was called "hardware console" at that time.

--
Kris Buelens,
IBM Belgium, VM customer support