Actually, your zVM doesn¹t even need FTPSERVE up; you only need the FTP
client, which doesn¹t depend on the server at all to go out to another box.

So the list is reduced to z/VM, TCP/IP and the FTP program, plus CMSDDR, if
that is needed to deconstruct the package.

Setting up an FTP / NFS server was one of the first things we did, and we
serve all of the files from there by loopback mounting the various ISO
files. With the advent of the DVD ISOs, we can use NFS for the installs;
prior to that, having the various CDs loopback mounted confuses NFS, because
it won¹t cross a filesystem boundary, so we could only use FTP. In any case,
getting this install server up and running saved a lot of future effort.

For a beginning site, being able to lay down this server from DDR would be a
huge help. The issues would revolve around the customization of this image
once it was laid down, such as changing its IP address to fit into the local
network. Making sure it was built on globally available DASD (such as being
sized for 3390 mod 3¹s) would help for the sites that have no defined mod 9
or 27 devices.

I can see where giving the mainframer who is new to Linux an initial,
running system, with the ability to support the creation of additional
images, would be very helpful. I wish it had been available when I started
doing this...

--
   .~.    Robert P. Nix             Mayo Foundation
   /V\    RO-OE-5-55              200 First Street SW