z/VM 5.2 changed a lot in its storage management to improve handling real
storage above 2GB.  Consequently, if you'd have execs that use information
from CP control blocks, they may have to be adapted before they can run in
z/VM 5.3.

With other words: the step from 5.1 to 5.2 is bigger than from 5.2 to 5.3