Hi folks,

How do you set up multiple consoles in z/VM?

I've got PROP implemented and use the Performance Toolkit to manage the
console display of the Logical Operator. This works well... I just want
more of them!

In trolling the IBMVM archives, I've seen several references to setting up
multiple consoles, but none of them appear to be accurate. For example,
there is one reference that says that you can specify a nickname in the
LGLOPR statement in PROP RTABLE and point this at multiple userids.
However, the CMS Planning and Admin manual says...

Note: If a nickname is used to identify the logical operator, the nickname
entry must specify a single user ID. The nickname entry must also include
node information when the logical operator is located on a different
machine. Since PROP allows only 1 LGLOPR, the nickname entry cannot be
another nickname or a list of nicknames or user IDs.

Likewise, the first match in PROP RTABLE is used, so there is no chance of
sending the same message to multiple userids.

With the Performance Toolkit, the last match in FCONX $PROFILE is used
when processing messages, so again, there is no possibility of multiple
entries for the same message.

I've tried setting up the FCONX $PROFILE file to send all messages to an
EXEC, which uses   'CP M OP CMD WNG' 2ndoper msg      to then send the
message to a secondary userid. This does not work, however. When the exec
runs, it displays  "Command complete" on the Logical Operator console,
which in turn gets sent to the secondary operator in a never-ending loop.

I know I can use M OP GET LOG and then view the results in my RDRList to
see the current log, but that is hardly interactive. I also know there are
products that do this, but the budget doesn't stretch that far.

I'm no z/VM guru, so please keep it simple and provide some examples or
manual references.  TIA.

Regards,
Fred Schmidt
Data Centre Services (DCS)
Northern Territory Government, Australia