Getting to understand VM SHARE settings is a science - and a bit of guess
work - there is no doubt!

In my example, I have a multiprocessing Linux server with 2 vcpus.
Uncapped, it can get 200% total CPU if it ran flat out and there were no
constraints on the whole z.  The whole z LPAR has 11 IFLs on it.

So we need to cap that puppy to not go over 25% total CPU.  The calculation
would be:

  25% / 11 = 2.3%   - thus a SET SHARE puppy REL 200 ABS 2.3% LIMITHARD did
the trick

The absolute SHARE is based on the number of physical processors on the
system.  Granted Kris did give a good point for workload that is
uniprocessor based so that if your workload is biased toward only using 1
vcpu, then you would only get HALF of the full capacity because it
won't/can't use the second vcpu.

This works for us - we use the capping for poor behaving test servers and
the cpu never gets over 25%.

The whole concept takes getting used to.  It is often not the easiest to
grasp that the server's "total" cpu capacity is based on 100% * vcpus.   If
that 2 vcpu system is running uncapped and flat out, the total of the whole
z would be 200 / 1100 which would be 18.18% - but that is of the WHOLE z
box, not of it's own total CPU.  It is really consuming 2 complete IFLs all
by itself or 200% of it's total cpu capacity.

I guess you can look at it from the entire z capacity standpoint that it is
using 18.18% of the whole box.  So we would then have to cap it to only use
2.3% of the total box cpu capacity - which surprisingly is 25.3% total CPU.

Fun stuff, ain't it?  This is why Bill Bitner loves his job! :-)

JimV