We have several TCPNJE links between VM and z/OS systems. All are
working except 1. Even it worked for 6 days. Then it began to not send
jobs to its partner z/OS system. It receives files, sends commands and
receives responses, and receives output of jobs tagged for the VM
system, but simply refuses to send a job. Repeated QUERY FILES ON MVSSYS
commands show the same small (73 records) file being sent with an ever
increasing queue of jobs to be sent.

VM is z/VM 5.2.0 at RSU 0701 plus reach-ahead. The entries in RSCS
CONFIG are:

  LINKDEF MVSSYS   TYPE TCPNJE AST RETRY
  PARM MVSSYS     HOST=xx.xxx.x.xx STREAMS=2 BUFF=8192 KEEPALIV=NO
ITO=100

There are 6 other links to z/OS systems having the same definitions,
varying only in node name and IP Address. Two of them, very busy ones at
that, have been running for over a month with no problems. Even another
started at the same time as this one continues to work. The MVS folks
have rechecked their maintenance and have confirmed that this system has
all the same maintenance as the others, including fixes for TCPNJE
problems.

II have looked at the RSCS console log and see no errors on the link.
Here are the console entries for the last jog successfully sent - the
date is today, the times GMT .

10:56:12 DMTAXM101I File 8290 (8290) enqueued on link MVSSYS

10:56:13 DMTNTR146I Sending file 8290 (8290) on link MVSSYS from
VMSYS(LOGPRINT), records 198
10:56:13 DMTNTR147I Sent file 8290 (8290) on link MVSSYS to MVSSYS(JOB)

10:56:13 DMTAXM105I File 8290 purged

Following that, jobs began to queue up. We continue to receive files and
job output, but cannot send a file or submit a job. Commands to the MVS
system are executed normally. There are no error messages in the logs of
either system. We have taken the link down and restarted it several
times, to no avail. I have purged several of the files that all appeared
similar to the one that was originally hung, also to no avail.

Does anyone have any idea about what is going on?

I would love to send a dump to someone, but I fear a dump of a system
that is doing nothing would not be very helpful :-).
Regards,
Richard Schuh