> Secure FTP was possible prior to z/VM 5.3. You had to specify SECURE
on the PORT statement > for the FTP server and the client had to
initiate a secure connection to the port.

The client also had to understand implicit SSL, which few clients do.

> In z/VM 5.3 we've added the ability for the client and server to
negotiate security
> options based on RFC 4217 (Securing FTP with TLS). Configuration of
the FTP server to
> support TLS is discussed in TCP/IP Planning and Customization, Chapter
8. Configuring
> the FTP Server (specifically Step 6: Configure Secure FTP
Connections).

And this works just fine with a lot more clients on the server side. I
don't see any changes to the CMS client, though.