From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Mark Wheeler
Sent: Tuesday, August 21, 2007 2:17 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: Using a VSwitch in VM rather than VIPA

Larry,

This definitely the way to go. Since availability is your main concern
(vs capacity), if possible connect the OSA's to two different physical
switches in case one of those goes down.

Good luck!

Mark L. Wheeler
IT Infrastructure, 3M Center B224-4N-20, St Paul MN 55144
Tel:  (651) 733-4355, Fax:  (651) 736-7689 mlwheeler at mmm.com

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the
intelligent are full of doubt" - Bertrand Russell

             "Davis, Larry"

             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]

             IELSEN.COM>
             Sent by: The IBM          IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU

             z/VM Operating
cc
             System

             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject
             ARK.EDU>                  Using a VSwitch in VM rather than

                                       VIPA

             08/21/2007 07:39

             AM

             Please respond to

               The IBM z/VM

             Operating System

             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]

                 ARK.EDU>

I would like to use a VSWITCH being managed through CP and operating
over to separate ports on an OSA Express 2 card. Then I would like to
link my main z/VM TCP/IP stack to this VSWITCH. Am I barking up a non
existent tree or is this possible

I am using the two TCP/IP Controllers ID's DTCVSW1/2 included with z/VM
5.2

I thought if I could create a virtual NIC and couple this with the
VMSWITCH then the main z/VM stack would have a redundant and managed
failover for a OSA port failure.

I would prefer to have the ports on separate cards, but don't see that
happening anytime soon.

Larry Davis