Thanks

One less step.

I was reading over the redbook:
Modified by z/VM and Linux on IBM System z
The Virtualization Cookbook

which is based on SLES10.  That is where I picked up that modification.
I have a "Linux Installation Document" which I use to guide me thru my standard
installations and a "Linux Tasks Document", which details all the other
configuration tasks that I may want to do.

The "Linux Tasks Document" tends to get lengthy as anytime I find something I
"think I need", I put it in there.  Trouble is, most of the tasks stay in
there, even when the next release or service pack or VM upgrade, nullifies the
need.

Tom Duerbusch
THD Consulting

>>> Mark Post <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 8/21/2007 3:26 PM >>>
>>> On Tue, Aug 21, 2007 at  4:14 PM, in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Tom Duerbusch
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
-snip-
> joe /etc/inittab
>
> /shutdown *r/shutdown *h/  (don*t restart, shutdown and logoff)

That's not really necessary.  SLES (at least) won't try to re-IPL in response
to a signal shutdown it intercepts:
md: stopping all md devices.
Power down.
00: HCPGSP2629I The virtual machine is placed in CP mode due to a SIGP stop from
 CPU 00.
01: HCPGIR450W CP entered; disabled wait PSW 00020001 80000000 00000000 00000FFF

And that was with the as-shipped
ca::ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown -r -t 4 now
in /etc/initttab.

Mark Post