From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of David Boyes
Sent: August 29, 2007 17:25
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: DASD Problems

> ENTER INPUT COMMAND:
>
>   CPVOL LABEL UNIT(7000) VOLID(NU7000) NOVFY

That I/O error is worrisome. You might try the DSF INSTALL command to
ensure that the volume really IS OK. Try

INSTALL UNIT(7000)
CPVOL FORMAT UNIT(7000) NVFY VOLID(NU7000)

The INSTALL will take a LONG time (3-4 hours ... go get dinner) but it
does media verification and the following CPVOL FORMAT should actually
write on everything and label the volume.  If you still get errors, then
I'd say you have a media problem.

> ICK04000I DEVICE IS IN SIMPLEX STATE

Ah, memories of 3990 dual copy mode.  This just says that the unit you
specified is not part of a dual copy pair. Think of it as RAID1 for
3390s. Unless you have real 3390s and real 3990s, you probably won't
ever see the paired version.

it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material.  Any
review retransmission dissemination or other use of or taking of any action in
reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended
recipient or delegate is strictly prohibited.  If you received this in error
please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.  The
integrity and security of this message cannot by guaranteed on the Internet.
The Sender accepts no liability for the content of this e-mail or for the
consequences of any actions taken on basis of the information provided.  The
recipient should check this e-mail and any attachments for the presence of
viruses.  The sender accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus
transmitted by this e-mail.  This disclaimer is the property of the TTC and
must not be altered or circumvented in any manner.