On 8/31/07, Rich Greenberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> } pitfall: there is (currently) no performance data.
> }
> Well, then Rich will have the oppurtunity to provide some.  :-)

But the reason we do not have performance data is that there is really
no instrumentation...

For z/VM disks on FCP (aka edevice) there is some made-up numbers from
CP, so you would be able to tell that you have bad disk I/O response,
but little help to determine why that is (other than blame those folks
of the SAN).
For the Linux disk I/O on FCP, you have no useful instrumentation from
VM or channel. There is some experimental code to measure things in
Linux, but it would be even harder to make sense of such numbers with
Linux on z/VM.

Obviously we did review performance data from z/VM systems using FCP
for their Linux DASD only, as well as for the entire z/VM system. I
don't recall a situation where the FCP disk I/O was determined to be
the bottleneck. That does not mean FCP never is a problem. The
question is whether you have enough ammunition to point a finger when
you do have disk I/O problems.

Rob
--
Rob van der Heij