We received our DS6800 just after GA (August 2005), initially on a z/890 under
z/VM 5.1 and then 5.2.

We never had an upgrade "take out" z/VM.
However, during one of our microcode upgrades, it prevented all dasd I/O for
about 10 minutes.

I don't have to, so I don't, do microcode upgrades during the day.  I reserved
it for weekend work.  However, I don't take the processor down for the
upgrades.

We will be doing one in another couple weeks.  I plan on running system backups
concurrently with the upgrade to see if we still had the I/O delay problem.

Tom Duerbusch
THD Consulting

FELINE PHYSICS:
Law of Cat Inertia

  A cat at rest will tend to remain at rest, unless acted upon by
  some outside force - such as the opening of cat food, or a nearby
  scurrying mouse.

>>> Crispin Hugo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 9/9/2007 1:14 PM >>>
Anybody out there using DS6800 with z/VM 5.2 or 5.3 . We are having problems
that anytime we update the software on DS6800, it takes out z/VM. There are
4 FICON channels. DS6800 disables  2 at a time as it does upgrade. VM can't
seem to cope with this ?

Crispin Hugo
Systems Programmer, Macro 4
< <http://www.macro4.com/> http://www.macro4.com/>
Macro 4 plc, The Orangery, Turners Hill Road, Worth, Crawley, RH10 4SS
Direct Line: +44 (0)1293 872121 Switchboard: +44 (0) 1293 872000
Fax: +44 (0) 1293 872001

This email has been scanned for all known viruses by the MessageLabs Email
Security Service and the Macro 4 plc internal virus protection system.