> Interesting but probably has left out millions of addresses. I operate in
> stealth mode on my home system, and I imagine that most users of firewall
> software like Zone Alarm do, too.

As they themselves noted:

Accuracy
No census of billions of addresses will be perfect; we underestimate
occupancy for three reasons: A few percent of probes and replies are lost
due to congestion. Addresses such as those behind firewalls choose not to
receive or reply to our requests. Other computers use private addresses.
We evaluate loss in our technical report; evaluation of the other cases, the
invisible Internet, is future work.