I agree.  The poster didn't really say what their plans were....mostly that he
was a newbie.

In my shop, we have Oracle 10g running in test.  Applications wanted an Oracle
machine bigger then we currently have in production (4 GB).  I gave them a
couple images of Oracle running in 400 MBs (about the smallest I could make it
and still run OEM).  They have been happy with the performance.

Now, production may be a different matter.  But we will go into production with
a 400 MB machine and I'll give it more memory (and adjust the SGA) when I see
the performance problems.  We will be scaling up slowly.  Perhaps a dozen users
will be moved to the mainframe on the first go around.

Tom Duerbusch
THD Consulting

>>> "Romanowski, John (OFT)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 10/19/2007 12:46 PM >>>
On the other hand, if his site plans to eventually run multiple oracle
guests with little/zero down time to add LPAR memory as more guests are
added , then  sizing the LPAR memory now to avoid LPAR outages later is
prudent.

This e-mail, including any attachments, may be confidential, privileged or
otherwise legally protected. It is intended only for the addressee. If you
received this e-mail in error or from someone who was not authorized to send it
to you, do not disseminate, copy or otherwise use this e-mail or its
attachments.  Please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete
the e-mail from your system.