I received the following question from my management:

The question is being asked: can we move existing z/OS processing
(Omegamon? Netview?) to z/Linux to take advantage of IFL engines or other

efficiencies? I would expect that the z/Linux image would in turn run
under z/VM.

So far I have not uncovered any candidates with the possible exception of

Netview. Most (all?) of IBM's candidates are middleware products such as

DB2 Connect. CCL loosely fits the requirements (Communication Controller

for Linux - the NCP/FEP emulator).

Are you aware of any products?

Links I have checked:

http://www-03.ibm.com/linux/matrix/

ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/software/linux/IBMSoftwareOnLinux.pdf

http://www-306.ibm.com/software/os/linux/software/

http://www-03.ibm.com/linux/prod_svc.html

ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/software/tivoli/brochures/bc-mng-brd-ra.pdf

I replied with:

DB2 Server and Java both run on Linux! So for that matter do COBOL,
FORTRAN, PL/I, C, C++, etc.

I suspect IBM is not really interested in moving workloads from z/OS to

z/Linux – which is why you didn’t find anything but middleware in tho
se
lists. They want mainframe growth, not lateral movement (and perhaps loss

of revenue?).

Any suggestions? Has anyone tried moving workload from z/OS to z/Linux?

Any success stories or warnings?

I posted this here, because it is easier to post to the IBMVM list via th
web page than to the LINUX-390 list, and because I know and trust the
people that respond here. Should I also post the question to LINUX-390?

Alan Ackerman

Alan (dot) Ackerman (at) Bank of America (dot) com