On Nov 28, 2007 11:18 AM, Tobias Doerkes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> So if IBM provides this, there must be an control block to get it from. Or
> does ESALPS the calculation by itself?

The numbers are not provided by the z/VM so ESALPS uses a.o. the
per-model numbers published by IBM and customer defined factors to
compute service units.

Computation of service units is specifically meant for installations
that charge their VM service in the same way they charge for MVS
usage. At one installation we actually configured their internal CPU
tariff in. It turned out to be very informative to have ESAMAP reports
show the application usage for the day in real money. Also, the ESAMON
screens show those numbers per minute. It really shows the value of
proper monitoring and performance management when you can see what
uncontrolled usage is doing to your budget.

If you run z/VM on different machines in your shop, computing service
units can be helpful if you need to compare workloads.

Rob
--
Rob van der Heij
Velocity Software, Inc