From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Mark Wheeler
Sent: Monday, December 24, 2007 11:39 AM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: Offline Devices

Richard,

I had a similar requirement and defined the device ranges that I wanted
to "block" as "NotAccepted" in my SYSTEM CONFIG's "Device" statement.

Best regards,

Mark L. Wheeler
IT Infrastructure, 3M Center B224-4N-20, St Paul MN 55144
Tel:  (651) 733-4355, Fax:  (651) 736-7689 mlwheeler at mmm.com

"I have this theory that if one person can go out of their way to show
compassion then it will start a chain reaction of the same. People will
never know how far a little kindness can go." Rachel Joy Scott

             "Schuh, Richard"

             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

             Sent by: The IBM
             z/VM Operating            IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU

             System
cc
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]

             ARK.EDU>
Subject
                                       Offline Devices

             12/24/2007 12:26

             PM

             Please respond to

               The IBM z/VM

             Operating System

             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]

                 ARK.EDU>

Recently, we have had some problems with a ficon card. The path was
varied off from all devices and the chpid varied offline. The chpid was
then taken offline at the HSM and the part replaced. When the chpid was
brought back online at the HSM, the ensuing device reconfiguration
interrupt apparently caused all 4096 devices to be brought online.
Unfortunately, only 365 of the devices were online when the hardware
activity started. The remaining devices are in the Devices_offline list
in the SYSTEM CONFIG file and are not supposed to be online to VM. In
this particular case, only the one path out of four was affected by the
hardware problem.

I cannot put the devices in an ignore list because it is sometimes
necessary to make one of them available to VM. From the description, it
does not appear that making them not_sensed would help. In fact, it
would probably make the occasional need to make a device available more
complicated. Is there any way to have the devices stay offline in a
situation like this?

Regards,
Richard Schuh