Sorry, unsafe again, for at least two reasons:
- when you go to CMS SUBSET, XEDIT is still in the air, but hidden, so will be
  the message(s) sent with (E)MSG
- from XEDIT, you invoke another fullscreen program (e.g. ISPF),
yielding the same
  problems as with SUBSET

The fact that FILELIST is XEDIT too, doesn't pose an extra problem:
the messages will be displayed in FILELIST's msg area, as soon as
XEDIT gets the chance.

BTW, there still is a small error in the sample code, this code should
run with ADDRESS COMMAND (if it were ADDRESS CMS, remain silent to
avoid injuries).  So
    'SUBCOM XEDIT'
    xedit = (rc = 0)
    If xedit Then
      address Xedit  'COMMAND EMSG' ...
    Else
      Say ...

I guess we should have asked from the beginning why David needed to
know the caller of an exec, enabling a more precise answer, or even
other, easier alternatives.

--
Kris Buelens,
IBM Belgium, VM customer support