The first quarter meeting of the Chicago Area VM (and Linux) Enthusiasts will be held on Thursday, January 24, 2008.

The Final Agenda is included below.

----------

Meeting Location:

This quarter's meeting will be held at the Hewitt Associates 'East Campus' located at 100 Half Day Road, in Lincolnshire, IL. We will meet in the 100-M3 Conference Room, just off the cafeteria.

If you have not attended a meeting at this location before, or you are not familiar with the area, <http://cavmen.home.comcast.net/hewittb99.html>Click here for additional information on directions, maps, lodging and dining.

----------

Attendance:

We would like to request a count of expected attendees by the Monday before the meeting, so that we may plan appropriately for arranging the facilities, and for refreshments and lunch, should one of the vendors wish to provide them. If you are planning to attend, PLEASE send an E-Mail by that date to <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>[EMAIL PROTECTED] with a subject line of "Meeting Attendance".

This is meant to be a facilities planning aid and should not be interpreted as a registration requirement. If you suddenly become available at the last minute, please feel free to attend even if you have not responded.

Thank you in advance for your cooperation in this matter.

----------

Cell Phone Policy:

All electronic devices (cell phones, Blackberry's, etc.) if switched on must be kept in silent mode during the meeting. If you need to make or receive a call, you must quietly leave the meeting room to do so. There is a large quiet area outside of the meeting room that is ideal for this.

Any intentional or repeat violations of this policy will result in that individual being escorted from the premises and potentially excluded from future meetings.

Thank you in advance for your cooperation in this matter.

----------

Final Meeting Agenda:

9:00 AM         z/VM Performance Update

The newest releast of z/VM was generally available on June 29, 2007 and has significant improvements to performance and capacity. This session will describe some of the key performance related changes in the release and how they may apply to your system. Customer workloads on z/VM have continued to grow this decade. The newest release of z/VM was designed to keep you from out growing your z/VM system. The design includes improved scalability in: processor, real memory, networking, and disk I/O. In each of these areas; we'll describe how the system capacity has been increased.

The speaker will be Mr. Bill Bitner of the IBM Corporation.

10:30 AM        Coffee Break

11:00 AM        z/VM: If the Sky is the Limit, How High is the Sky?

The earlier z/VM Performance Update discussed extending some limits. This session will take a more in depth look at just how large or wide or tall can you grow a z/VM system. The session will also discuss the type of data you can look at to evaluate how close your system is to those limits. As we look at different subsystems (processors, memory, etc.), we will discuss theoretical and practical limits. Included will be a brief look at some of the ways IBM tests these limits.

The speaker will be Mr. Bill Bitner of the IBM Corporation.

12:30 PM        Lunch Break

1:30 PM         Administration and Vendor Announcements

2:00 PM         Linux under z/VM Performance Analysis Case Studies

This presentation will show Case studies in measuring Linux under z/VM performance. All examples will use ESALPS as the measurement facility.

The speaker will be Mr. Barton Robinson of Velocity Software.

3:15 PM         Coffee Break and Prize Drawing

3:30 PM         Managing Linux under z/VM using ESALPS

Managing Linux on a mainframe requires capacity planning, performance analysis, chargeback, and operational support. This presentation presents the technologies employed by Velocity Software's ESALPS.

The speaker will be Mr. Barton Robinson of Velocity Software.

4:45 PM         Free-for-All

Members will attempt to answer any reasonable VM or hardware related questions. If you are having a problem and want to find out if others are experiencing it, or you are installing new hardware or software and want to find out what types of problems others have experienced, here is the place to find out.

Members are encouraged to bring ideas for future presentations and speakers to this meeting.

----------

Please check the WEB site for Map and Directions:
http://cavmen.home.comcast.net

In addition, you will also find extensive information available on dining and lodging in the Hewitt Associates area.

Additional information about the CAVMEN group, and other VM related items of interest are available on our web site.

There is no charge for admission to meetings.

Meeting attendance is open to anyone, and advance registration is not required.

I look forward to seeing all of you at the meeting.

Mark M. Suchecki
CAVMEN Coordinator

Voice:  (847) 518-0058
FAX:    (847) 518-0083