Personal experience follows: take with a grain of salt, YMMV, may induce
headaches in pregnant men, etc

It seems to me that when dirmaint is left at defaults for flashcopy behavior
2 that it appears to adopt a polling process to check whether the storage
device has actually finished copying the volume in the background before
returning from DVHDXD. It essentially turns the instantaneous point in time
copy to a synchronous copy, like a fast DDR.

There is yet another parameter you can fiddle with to adjust this behavior:
DVHDXD_FLASHCOPY_COMPLETION_WAIT = <integer> <integer>

Ive got mine set to "DVHDXD_FLASHCOPY_COMPLETION_WAIT = 0 0" because I
noticed that my dirmaint clone disk operations were not completing much
faster than a good ole DDR.

>From * z/VM V5R3.0 Directory Maintenance Facility Tailoring and
Administration Guide* :

" These values specify when, in
 number of seconds, to issue a
 subsequent FLASHCOPY command to
 check for possible completion
 of a prior command. The first
 value is the wait between
 issuances of a CP FLASHCOPY 0 0
 request, and the second is
 between issuances of a CP
 FLASHCOPY END END request.
 Optimum performance is 0 0 -
 but this should not be used if
 the installation has any
 FLASHCOPY Version 1 DASD.       "

Note the warning about having any FC1 storage controllers - I have no idea
what happens if you try running this with FC1, but I would bet that it is
bad. Probably sounds like "data integrity issues" I think this is in there
as a check against a sequence like this getting issued:
 FLASHCOPY 1111 0 end 2222 0 end
 FLASHCOPY 2222 0 end 3333 0 end
 FLASHCOPY 3333 0 end 4444 0 end

That sequence probably works with FC2, probably does not with FC1

--
Jay Brenneman