On Friday, 01/11/2008 at 10:27 EST, "Mrohs, Ray" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> We are moving our mainframe connections from Cisco to OSA. My OSA test
> environment has VM's TCPIP attaching to the VSWITCH, which provides some
> failover redundancy at the expense of slightly more complication, i.e.
> VSWITCH creation and authorization. In the past I simply defined TCPIP
> directly to the OSA Rdevs. We are supporting 1000+ CMS telnet sessions.
>
> Is there a generally preferred method for connecting the VM TCPIP to the
> local network?

(1) Make sure you're not using TCPIP as a VSWITCH controller.  I.e., don't
use VSWITCH CONTROLLER ON in PROFILE TCPIP.

(2) Make sure you have an alternate way to access the system remotely for
repairs, such as OSA-ICC or HMC integrated 3270 console.  If the VSWITCH
dies for any reason (e.g. someone FORCEs the controllers), you will lose
the ability to telnet directly into VM TCP/IP.

Giving VM TCP/IP his own subchannels on the OSA is the one exception I
make to my no-sharing rule for the VSWITCH (for non-Link Aggregation
configurations only).

Your performance reports will tell you how much extra resource you're
using by putting 1000+ CMS users on the VSWITCH.  With a real OSA you can
take advantage of the hardware assist.