There are a number of ways you can do this using the Stand-Alone
Program Loader (SAPL) screen at IPL time.
You can optionally display this screen by specifying
a 3270-capable console address in the LOADPARM field of your hardware
console (or on the IPL command).

Rather than specifying the starting cylinder, you can specify the "extent
number" of the parm disk on the IPL volume that you want to use. If you
are using the CF1, CF2, and CF3 disks that are built when you install
z/VM, CF1 is extent 1, CF2 is extent 2, and CF3 is extent 3 on the
installed IPL volume.

You can also have multiple system configuration files on the same parm
disk (with different names of course). SYSTEM CONFIG is the default
filename and filetype of the configuration file, but you can use
different names as long as you tell CP which file to use. Using this
method, you could:

1) Create a backup copy of the current SYSTEM CONFIG in a file called
   SYSBACK CONFIG (for example).

2) Make your changes to file SYSTEM CONFIG and IPL.

3) If need be, you can revert to SYSBACK CONFIG by specifying
   fn=SYSBACK in the IPL Parameters section of the SAPL screen when you
re-IPL.

John Franciscovich
z/VM Development