Lionel ...

As several have mentioned, there are packages which will help.
But also:

You can do a lot of full-screen 3270 work using XEDIT.
Many VMers have done amazing things using only XEDIT.
But there would be a learning curve.  If I can find contact info for
my BMC colleague Larry Dinwiddie, he could give you some tips
to shorten the curve.  (And he may be monitoring this list.  Larry?)

--