It's used for DIRMAINT's directory update DELTA processing ...
essentially a "scratch" compile area ... where only the directory
entries that were changed are recompiled.  Then the DELTA changes are
dynamically linked into the online directory.  This bypasses the
overhead DIRMAINT used to incur for even the simplest/smallest directory
change of needing to rewrite the *entire* online directory from start to
end to achieve any change in the online directory.

JR (Steven) Imler
CA
Senior Software Engineer
Tel:  +1 703 708 3479