Yes, thank you Ron, 'WAKEUP +0 (IUCVMSG' just does CP SET MSG IUCV and
WAKEUP RESET puts it back to ON. To trap other stuff, you do need to
explicitly set it (and maybe IMSG/EMSG would be enough in this case). But
Phillip has to set those traps before the SPXTAPE command.
And BTW, Phillip, WAKEUP always returns one message at a time, so  there's
no need for queued(). Also, you may want to do 'CP SP CON * CL x' and 'CP SP
RDR CL x' and then instruct WAKEUP to wait for reader files as well.
SPXTAPE's log files have distinctive filenames and go to wherever your
console is spooled.
Ivica