The IBM z/VM Operating System <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU> wrote on
02/19/2008 04:53:22 PM:

> Given that performance is very nearly the same between SAN and EDEV
> connections, or acceptably so, then I would recommend that you go with
> the EDEV approach. Just have your SAN folks carve out a big chunk of SAN

> storage for your use, and then allocate EDEV (FBA type) disk storage for

> guests as needed from that large pool. You want to minimize your
> contacts with the SAN folks, I think.
>
> Good luck.

I don't think the performance is very close.  Here's some anecdotal
evidence...

For Danu (z9) GA 3, we (firmware) were roped into measuring the FBA
performance difference: GA 2 vs GA 3.  We wanted to determine if firmware
changes that helped direct attached IOs/sec also helped FBA.  The testing
procedure was ad hoc.  We found a configuration of FBA devices that would
get the max 4k SCSI reads/sec from 1 channel.  We got numbers with the GA
2 firmware.  We upgraded the FCP firmware to GA 3, and used the same FBA
config to get a new set of numbers.  We then compared to direct attached
4k SCSI reads/sec numbers that we already had.  Direct attached was
something like 50% faster for both levels of firmware.

Sorry that I don't have more details, but it was over a year ago, and I no
longer have the string of notes.

If anyone out there is contemplating FBA vs direct attached and
performance is a concern, I think you should do some of your own tests
before deciding.

Ray Higgs
System z FCP Development
Bld. 706, B24