On Monday, 02/25/2008 at 11:03 EST, RPN01 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> This is very true... And also very wrong. Have you looked at the number
of
> manuals that come in the z/VM set at this point? They now come on a DVD.
How
> would someone, just starting into z/VM, decide where to start reading?
Or,
> better yet, once you read the obvious introductions, where do you go
from
> there? There isn't really a good map provided, and there's so much there
> that depends on other information in other manuals, that it's difficult
> have good comprehension.
>
> Sometimes, a good class can help get you started, or can bring it all
> together and make it gel.

The Getting Started with z/VM for Linux book is a good place to start.  As
to IBM classes, the reason that IBM doesn't offer many formal z/VM classes
is that there isn't much demand.  If folks want IBM to offer more classes,
you need to contact IBM education folks.

Go to the System z section of the IBM Learning Services course catalog
http://www-304.ibm.com/jct03001c/services/learning/ites.wss/us/en?pageType=page&c=a0000409
and select the "e-mail us" link on the right.

As to affordability, I guess the question is whether the cost is in line
with the benefit.  What criteria do you have for affordability?