There are several reasons why a 3140 could be returned.

1) The device is not 'free' when RMS queries it.  You already have
shown this is not the case.

2) There is a code problem in RMS.  As JR indicated, apply the latest
RMS service starting with UM32029

3) 'Device not available' was returned from the ATL.  Don't assume
that using if from another system would mean it is available as it
could be locked.  Does RMS actually attach the device to itself?

Apply the service.  If the problem persists call it in  (take a trsource
trace and RMS dump first).

Best Regards,
Les Geer
IBM z/VM and Linux Development