Kris,

thank you for your explanation, you are right. I didn't get in real trouble with it. I have found it out at a customer's system accidently while I showed him the SFS-locking. He then tried directly the FTP. If you use ftp with its own userid then it works as expected with the message "file sharing conflict".

kind regards
Franz Josef Pohlen

Kris Buelens schrieb:
I guess the userid in the FTP session is the same as the one Xediting
the file in which case  SFS is right permitting the overwrite.  The
same problem happens when Xediting user submits a batch job: the batch
worker machine can update the file.  Or, when using remote  SFS your
userid can update that file from another VM system.

This is why it is **very** bad practice to use FF (FFILE) or SS
(SSAVE) as standard XEDIT command in lieu of FILE and SAVE.  When the
Xedited file was updated by something else, XEDIT's FILE command will
tell "file already exists..."