On Tuesday, 03/25/2008 at 04:26 EDT, "Gary M. Dennis"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Is anyone aware of a VM open source file system port with some of the
> characteristics listed below. Such a system might enable us to add the
> functionality needed to support these guests without starting at zero.

It isn't Open Source, but CMS has a POSIX file system (Byte File System,
BFS) that is managed by the SFS server, allocating space only as used.  I
don't know that I would classify it as "lightweight", though from the CMS
user's point of view, it is, since the I/O takes place in the SFS server,
but it takes APPC/VM (IUCV on steriods) calls to make it happen.  You can
talk to it in assembler using the BPX1xxxx callable services.  It could
provide you a "jump start" while you develop your own file system.

And just in case you haven't discovered it already, there's no "pluggable"
file system interface in CMS.  You will need to write your file system
from the bottom up.  The only help CMS will provide to you is in the form
of HNDIO,HNDSVC, NUCEXT, and NUCXLOAD.