Maybe your are missing PEEK's message telling that you don't see all
records in the reader file.  PEEK's default is FOR 200, you can change
that with
  DEFAULTS SET PEEK FOR 3000
At the other hand, there is my DIRME EXEC, part of the DRM package on
VM's download lib.  With DIRME you issue
     DIRME MAINT
or  DIRME MAINT LOCK
or even PIPE literal MAINT VTAM TCPIP !split !rexx(DIRME EXEC)! cons

--
Kris Buelens,
IBM Belgium, VM customer support