On Thursday, 04/10/2008 at 04:27 EDT, Raymond Noal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> The z/OS command -  D M=CPU - for a z/OS system running in a virtual
machine
> does not show the first byte of the CPU-ID. This is from my z/OS system
running
> in a virtual machine.
>
> D M=CPU
> IEE174I 13.19.16 DISPLAY M 230
> PROCESSOR STATUS
> ID  CPU                  SERIAL
> 00  +                     01AC8E2094
> 01  +                     01AC8E2094
> 02  +                     01AC8E2094
>
> You could write a program that issues CP commands using the DIAGNOSE
> instruction using subcode X'0008'.

On modern machines, the STIDP instruction (which returns the 0xFF in the
high-order byte) cannot be used to identify a particular processor.  You
can still use it to find out if you're running as a guest, but z/OS
doesn't care about that for displaying CPU ids.

z/OS issues the STIDP and gets the indicator that says "Use the STSI
instruction instead!".  The output from the STSI instruction does not
return the 0xFF.

FYI, the STSI() function in REXX can be used to obtain the output from the
STSI instruction.