Hans -
The VSWITCH failover support attempts to initialize each of the devices

defined for the virtual switch. If one attempt is successful the others

are initialized as backups.

In 5.2.0, if all devices are marked as broken manual intervention (SET

VSWITCH CONNECT) is required to reconnect the virtual switch when the
problem is fixed.

The failover support was enhanced in 5.3.0. The VSWITCH periodically
cycles between devices that report a "not ready" state (typically
something like a cable pull) checking to see if one of the devices has

been fixed and initialization can complete.

Mary Ellen Carollo
z/VM Networking Development

On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 08:22:00 -0400, Hans Rempel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

wrote:

>Our VSWITCH (z/VM 5.2) is defined with a backup OSA card going to a seco
nd
>real switch. Both real switches were re-booted and we lost all access to

VM
>system since the TCPIP stack is connect to that VSWITCH. During my
testing I
>did see the fail-over work by using the backup OSA device but can't
remember
>if the primary device re-connected as backup once OSA card became
available
>again. I think z/VM 5.3 handles this better than z/VM 5.2.
>

>In any event the real switches came up again the real devices were ready

and
>free. I had to issue a SET VSWITCH VSName RDEV addr1 addr2 from the HMC
>acquire connection again. Is this as designed for z/VM 5.2 or a bug?  Is

>there a better way? Can I define the VSWITCH to automatically re-attach

the
>devices? I didn't see any other options to do this but then again I may

have
>missed it. I hate to write a REXX program to kickoff once an address on

the