Does z/VM support "SCP/SFTP functionality"?

A user asked if z/VM supports "SFTP". I know z/VM 5.2 supports a Secure

FTP server, and z/VM 5.3 supports both a Secure FTP server & client,
but I
don't know whether that is "SFTP". (The user is using the FTP command on
CMS userid.)

The TCP/IP manual says:

"The FTP server may be configured to allow, require, or restrict secure

control and data connections using the Transport Layer Security (TLS)
protocol. RFC 4217 (Securing FTP with TLS) describes the protocol used by

the FTP server. Please see this RFC for more detailed information."

The user knows nothing about RFCs. He sent me a link to a security
document:

UNIX/Linux: Connectivity Controls - FTP Configuration - FTP Service

The document says:

"One of the following circumstances outlines when it is acceptable to
leverage FTP:
a) The operating system needed to communicate with a UNIX/Linux system

does not have SCP/SFTP functionality (i.e. [sic] Mainframe).
b) Significant performance issues leveraging SCP/SFTP.
c) Business requirement that FTP is embedded into the application layer

which is vendor supplied or internally developed (i.e. EDTUP)."

Does z/VM support "SCP/SFTP functionality"?

Alan Ackerman

Alan (dot) Ackerman (at) Bank of America (dot) com