Howard ...

The PF key settings are usually established in PROFILE EXEC
for your regular CMS session and in PROFILE XEDIT for editor work.
There is no automatic connection with GLOBALV, but you can issue
'GLOBALV GET' commands to set variables (within each profile
since they are usually written in REXX) and then issue the
appropriate key setting commands.

For example commands, I use this in PROFILE EXEC

        'CP SET PF1 RET'

and this in PROFILE XEDIT

        'SET PF1 BEFORE ?'

Both have the same effect of setting PF1 to be a retrieve key.
You could yank settings from GLOBALV with something like

        /* in PROFILE EXEC */
        'GLOBALV SELECT MAINKEYS GET PF1'
        'CP SET PF1' pf1

        /* in PROFILE XEDIT */
        Address "COMMAND" 'GLOBALV SELECT EDITKEYS GET PF1'
        'SET PF1' pf1

(And *setting* the global variables I will leave to later discussion
if this has hit the mark at all.)  I hope this helps.