On Thu, 8 May 2008, Michael Coffin wrote:
> Thanks Richard and Mary Ellen, I'll give NFS a look.
>  Unfortunately, my client considers NFS an "unsafe" technology

NFS is "unsafe" in a similar sense to how UDP is "unreliable".
Context!  Be sure they keep the context!  NFS was designed from
a point where the client systems were more to be trusted than an
uncontrolled user workstation.  The CMS client is well behaved
in this regard in that it can play an authentication game which
was added to NFS when PCs first got ethernet cards.  (see "pcnfsd")

As to Dave's comment about it being chatty:  no doubt!
I have never analyzed it with a scope or sniffer, but having
used it for nearly two decades, it's gotta be THE SLOWEST widely
deployed file access method around.  It's fine for sharing files.
It's NOT a good choice for bulk transfer.