On Thursday, 05/29/2008 at 12:43 EDT, "Wandschneider, Scott"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I have an MVS guest that has the following VM Directory entries:
>
> MACHINE ESA 4
> CPU 00 BASE CPUID 050607
> CPU 01 CPUID 150607
> CPU 02 CPUID 250607
>
> I logged onto the guest and issued ?DEFINE CPU 03?, received
acknowledgement,
> then disconnected.
>
> On the MVS side the following was entered:
> CF CPU(03),ONLINE
>
> Response:
> IEE241I CPU(3) NOT RECONFIGURED ONLINE -- ID NOT RECOGNIZED
> IEE712I CONFIG   PROCESSING COMPLETE

In order for MVS to bring a new CPU online, it must be in the
configuration ("Reserved"?) when the guest IPLs (as it is in an LPAR
activation profile).  CP does not virtualize this processor state.

The "max CPUs" specification on MACHINE is just an authorization mechanism
rather than a virtual machine architectural attribute.