On Wednesday, 06/04/2008 at 10:38 EDT, "Wandschneider, Scott"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In other words there is no way to remove a CPU without an IPL - is that
> correct?

Correct.  To add/remove CPUs dynamically requires use of specific
z/Architecture that allows that to occur, but CP doesn't virtualize that
architecture.  It would be highly inappropriate to rip a CPU out from
under a system without telling it the CPU is leaving/gone.  So, we reset
the guest to avoid any potential for "unpredictable results".

We do know that it would be a Good Thing to have that capability so that a
guest could shrink or grow its CPU consumption as the number of CPUs in
the LPAR shrinks or grows.