I think Eric Thomas got there first when he worked for CERN:-

Go to the VM Share Archives at:-

http://vm.marist.edu/~vmshare/browse?fn=TOOLKIT&ft=MEMO

and search for his append :-

"Append on 08/26/92 at 11:03 by Eric Thomas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:"

There is nice tutorial (or is it a rant) on using VI plus some essential
information on command naming standards...

Dave