You can mix any thing with anything....except you can't mix ficon and scsi
(FCP) on the same LCU.  (You can physically LPAR a DS6800  and you can
logically LPAR a DS8000).

When you add volumes to a LCU, you specify the device number (IOCP translates
device numbers to our 390 addresses).  I would test adding one device and check
the address produced.  I always get it confused as on one panel, the number
entered is in decimal, and on the other panel, the number entered is in hex.
Sometimes it takes a while to find the drive I just created.

You are not going to damage any existing volumes.  Except when you start
deleting the wrong addresses <G>.

Tom Duerbusch
THD Consulting

Law of Cat Acceleration

  A cat will accelerate at a constant rate, until he gets good and
  ready to stop.

>>> Dave Reinken <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 6/6/2008 12:38 PM >>>
I've got a 2105-800 coming in to replace a 9393 and 2105-F20. The 9393
needs to be pulled to make room for the 2105-800, so I am squishing what
I need from it onto the 2105-F20 for now. The F20 is currently defined
with 8 LCU's of 40 3390-9s each, leaving an extra 88,456 cylinders in
each LCU. I need some 3390-3s. I'd like to stick them onto the end of
LCU7 so that it doesn't trash my addressing, but there is stuff in LCU7
that I need.

1) I can mix 3390-9 and 3390-3 within an LCU, right?
2) When I add volumes to an existing LCU (say 26 3390-3s to the existing
40 3390-9s in LCU7) is it going to nuke the existing 3390-9s?

Unfortunately, the data that I _don't_ need is in LCU0-4. I suppose I
can deal with it and just readdress it in the IOCP by LCU to make it as
painless as possible, but it sure would be nice if I could just tack 26
3390-3s onto the end for a couple days until the 2105-800 is in place.