On Jun 12, 2008, at 7:55 PM, Lee Stewart wrote:

Hi... Does anyone know/remember the oldest (first) realease of VM that would run on a Z processor? I know z/VM 5.1 required a Z. But what from earlier releases would run on a Z? 4.4? 4.3? 4.2?

"Will run" and "Is supported" are two different things.

Anything that doesn't actually require 370 mode will, I think, run natively.

And of course if you're willing to be creative, there's nothing stopping you from building Hercules on z/Linux and running VM/370 or indeed CP-67 on that. I strongly suspect that it would run faster than the native iron it's emulating, even, on a z9 or z10.

Adam